Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Polish Post: Girly Bits "Cosmic Ocean" and "D!ck in a Box" Swatches, Review, and Nail Art

It's a very Washington morning here in Phoenix - grey, overcast, and rainy.  I very much enjoy it ^_^

Today, I have two polishes to show you from the Canada-based indie brand Girly Bits.  The first is called Cosmic Ocean - take a look!

Outdoors





Indoors


I wanted this polish the moment I came across it on Llarowe - it was the first polish I put on my wish list.  It recently came back into stock and I am so thrilled I was finally able to snag one!  Cosmic Ocean is a blue/teal/turquoise glitter topper packed full of sparkly goodness.  In the pictures, I am wearing two coats over Chick Polish's "Raven's Egg," with a quick topcoat for an added shine.  The polish dries quickly with a semi-flat finish, and has a TON of sparkle to it.  Seriously, it's just stunning.  I love that this polish looks beautiful even when it isn't in the sunlight.  This is my new favorite blue glitter topper :)  

The other polish I have today is a nod towards a very famous and amusing Saturday Night Live skit, and it is called "D!ck in a Box."

Outdoors





Indoors









Do you look at a nail polish, see it's name, and think, "Uhhhh...hmm," because it just doesn't seem to fit?  I felt that way about this polish when I first saw it released.  But upon further inspection of the brand overall, it looks like funny names is just something they do - which I should have figured with a brand name called Girly Bits :P

I never let a funky name stop me from buying a fabulous polish, though!  At first glance I wasn't too enthralled with D!ck in a Box, but as more swatches came out from various bloggers, I saw all the different angles of the polish color and wanted to give it a try :)  I'm glad I did!  It's rare to find a pretty grey, let alone a grey holographic, but Girly Bits managed to create one.  DIAB is a sparkly medium-grey toned polish with a linear holographic effect in the sunlight.  It's a lot more colorful in person - my camera just couldn't capture it.  Application was fairly smooth, and the polish was fully opaque in 3 coats (2 would probably do it if you apply it thicker, but I always prefer thin coats).  Dried fairly quickly, too, though I did use a coat of HK Girl Glisten & Glow fast-dry topcoat in the pictures above.  Overall, the polish is a nice neutral color with an added holo bonus in the sunlight :)

Here are some Girly Bits links for you (bet you don't hear that every day in a PG setting):

Facebook: Here

Website: Here

Instagram: Here

If you do not live in Canada, and are looking for a US based supplier of this brand, Llarowe carries a lot of the Girly Bits polishes.

I belong to a wonderful Freehand Nail Art group on Facebook, and we recently voted on a few themes for prompts each week.  The first theme was Complementary Colors, and this is the design I came up with:


I stepped a little outside my comfort zone with this design.  I went a little more artsy and lot less literal - and I kinda love the result!  With my art, I tend to focus on the details, and give myself a very hard time when things are messy, or not realistic/true to life.  This art design was me trying to break those bad habit thoughts and try something new.  I tell you what - I'm gonna do this more often ^_^

I hope you all have a great Tuesday!!  Thanks for sharing part of it with me <3

No comments:

Post a Comment